Monday 17 March 2014

Celebrate and Savour

I turned 33 yesterday. Not a huge milestone or anything but still. It made me question what do actually do when we "celebrate"?  Are we celebrating in certain ways?  Do we have traditions or something different that we do?  Why do we grow up and say that you're too old for a birthday party? Are we?  If it's a day to celebrate we should do just that. Celebrate. However that may be.

Oh but wait....every day is a gift and we should live like that's so. But do we?  I read a devotion last night and the lady in there had went to someone's house. This elderly lady never did two things at the same time. She wouldn't sit outside and enjoy the sun and conversation and have her tea and chocolate at the same time. Because she didn't want to overcrowd one experience with another. Maybe that's a bit extreme but the idea is good. How often do I overcrowd my day trying to multitask everything all the while not really be able to enjoy any of it? 

I want to celebrate and savour each day that I have. Take the time to enjoy the good moments even if the day has only one. What are the chances I'll miss out on it if I overcrowd it with everything else?  Probably pretty good. And how often in the process do I miss out on the good things God is telling me because I've overcrowded my day?  

I know this isn't directly talking about my MS but in a round about way it is. There are many days when it doesn't feel like it's a celebrating kind of day. But I shouldn't need an excuse like a birthday. I should be looking for the good and relishing those moments in the midst of the bad. Not always an easy task but I think I need I slow down. Maybe now more so than before. 


No comments:

Post a Comment